Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Slice of Life, Day 6--"Am I a Hoarder?"

Today a search for some files took me to my storage unit. As I rooted around old school boxes, stacks of antiques I've collected over time, and various pieces of furniture, I wondered, "What exactly makes one a hoarder?"

I mean, where's the line?

If you'd asked me to get rid of one thing in that room today, I'm not sure I could have made a decision. Okay, maybe one thing, but honestly, it all has a purpose (or could have a purpose, or is sentimental, or is practical to have on hand...).

You see where I'm going?

I don't think I really have a problem, but attachment to "things" has always been "a thing" for me. When my childhood home where my parents lived for 33 years was destroyed in the Joplin tornado of 2011, I salvaged all I could from the rubble that had meaning and now I hold onto it.

I have huge totes stacked and labeled that hold my rarely-seen treasures. I don't need to see them everyday, but I can spend hours just looking when I do.

I see myself as the memory-keeper of the family. I store it and when I see them, we get it out and laugh and cry and talk and reminisce.

I like to hold my past. To touch it.

Does that make me a hoarder? I hope not, but if it does, I'm okay with that. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Man, we were just talking about our storage unit -- what it's costing us -- and I was just thinking the same thing.

    What's worse is I don't even know what's in there.

    In my adult moments, I've learned not to care about stuff. Everything I love (honest) gets damaged or ruined, so I've learned to live in the moment, love the experience & the people.

    But, yes, get me in front of a bin I've packed and I have a story for each and every piece of scrap paper, every speck of glitter, every old painted macaroni that broke off of .. something in another bin.

    I'll take this as a sign. Prep myself with a bottle of wine, some loud "get rid of it" music and just attack.

    Hang in there.. (we're not hoarders. we're lovers of humanity and human moments!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storage unit costs. My former in-laws had two storage units where they kept various items including furniture. If they ever needed a couch, they had a back-up couch in storage. The problem was, two storage units for a minimum of $200 per month, for twenty years...well, that is a new couch and then some.
    I too am the keeper of memories so I fight this battle daily. I try to go through my things regularly. It may take a few reviews before I am ready to part with an item. The struggle is real...

    ReplyDelete