Monday, March 4, 2019

Slice of Life, Day 4-- "That Feeling"

Today I saw two houses.

First, the box house at the top of my budget in the Indy suburb. All I could imagine was a mortgage stretching into forever in a house that was already boring.

Second, the house in the downtown neighborhood with original hardwoods, surrounded by houses that didn't look a thing like it. Diverse, rundown, gorgeous houses on a street that I never dreamed I'd think about living on, but that suddenly felt like home.

I can't really explain it, but as my hand ran up the bannister of the stairway, I could feel it.

That feeling that they say happens when you find the one. I just knew.

Now, really, there's a lot to fix. Foundation, floors, a few ceilings that need repainted, etc. Oh, and it need central air. Not small things.

BUT, that feeling I got as I stood in the street, passed a few neighbors, listened to the quiet---how many times do you get that feeling??

This is house 6 on my search for the perfect home. It is by far the cheapest, the most beautiful, and the only one that sparked my imagination and my creativity. I could "see" the crown molding in my mind's eye, the uncovered hardwoods, and the wood trimmed windows come to life.

It would take some money to redo. I'm not unrealistic or afraid to walk away if something goes sideways, but I sure hope that a year from now I'm writing my Slice of Life post from a house just like that one.

2 comments: