Sunday, March 31, 2019

Slice of Life, Day 31--"March 2019: Recorded"

**As I write this Slice I have my cell phone cuddled up next to me, waiting to hear if I got the house I put in an offer on...I hope I know before I hit publish. ;) **

This has been the most different year of slicing for me in 6 years. I had a flow for 5 of them: stories embedded in my day, descriptions ready to go by evening. Honestly, it was never really hard for me to find gems to write about.

This year was the opposite.

I struggled every. single. day. I prayed no one would read what I published.

In retrospect, though, I learned something; March 2019 was recorded as it happened in real life

     -It's not fun for me to house hunt, much less relive the ups and downs in a blog each night. I tried to limit the posts, but I know it dominated my writing, just as it dominated my life.

    -When you're laser-focused on something, you miss the little things that creep through your day. I would get through my day, only to find that I could hardly remember the little things I would normally write about, much less enough to blog about them.

    -I was entirely and completely exhausted most of the time. My posts reflected that, both in creatively, length, and subject matter.

    -The community is so worth pushing through the hard times...for me, anyway. I look forward to seeing the "familiar faces" around each year.

    -I'll be back next year, no doubt. Tuesdays, no promises....I always say I will, but realistically this is just not the year to even try. I know it'd be totally worth it, but no resolutions this year for me.

So, in hindsight, I may not be proud of my writing, but I am more proud than ever that I did it. And, you know, it's called "Slice of Life" for a reason, and when looking back, it may have been a "not so shiny" month for me, but it was a Slice of MY Life.

March 2019: Recorded and in the books. Year 6 done! Yea!

Congrats to all my fellow slicers!

**And, no, the realtor still hasn't called, but it'll be okay. It seems appropriate to end on a suspended note, a breath held...that's been March for me! Cheers to next year and new houses and sleep!! :)**


2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, we've all been there--those times when stresses of life crowd out creativity and the blank screen offers nothing in return. You are wise to know that your slices simply capture the mood of your year. May your house hunt end happily and soon.

    As for your writing, it's lovely even as you write in suspense. A golden line: "It seems appropriate to end on a suspended note, a breath held...that's been March for me! "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on participating in the challenge ANYWAY, whether or not you felt the writing came easy or was well done. I have to say, I felt the same way. This year was a little more of a struggle for me. I do think that's the nature of the beast - this writing thing. Sometimes it flows and seems perfect, and other times it falters and fails. But the key is to write ANYWAY. Gosh, I wish we knew about your house, and I'm sure you do too. Maybe today?

    ReplyDelete