Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Slice of Life, Day 7-- "A Breakthrough"

Pride.

Love.

Excitement.

Relief.

All the feelings that rushed through me today as I sat back and watched all of my Level 1 and 2 ELL students stand in front of the class and present their group projects. Kids that had been here all year mixed in with my kids who have been here for less than a week.

I sat at the front with the presenters, just in case someone had a crisis or needed a word whispered. I watched, more nervous then them, I think...

Some of the kiddos couldn't read every word, so their friends hovered over their backs, whispering the words to them. Some had memorized their parts and stood confidently, speaking boldly. A few of them read their portion slowly, thoughtfully attacking each word, demonstrating how far they'd come.

The class would randomly burst into applause when a student that needed encouragement finished, or when they could tell that a friend had succeeded at something hard. My heart felt it would come out of my chest.

I made them all take a picture with their posters at the end. I had to mark the moment, even if it was just for me.

A moment it all came together.

A breakthrough.

3 comments:

  1. My heart was beating so hard as I read this -- I could feel your love and worry for them. I love how you built the tension and then slowly revealed the success. What a community you have created... thank you for inviting us to be a part of it.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt immense pride for each of your students by the time I finished reading this. You have an awesome community built up and that's so important. Especially when you have them presenting to their class. My heart swelled like yours when you said that they burst into applause as a way to encourage someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great moments! Glad you took the pictures. I’m sure parents would love to have them! (This should also be published on our ESL Facebook page! )

    ReplyDelete