Friday, March 16, 2018

Slice of Life, Day 16-- "The Reality"

The reality of my kids' lives hits home more on some days. Today was one of those days. I guess, really, this week was one of those weeks.

I found myself a sponge, hearing more and seeing more than usual. Maybe they talked more, maybe I listened more.

I can't tell the stories and that hurts me the most. I want to be their loudspeaker, to go on the news and tell the truth about immigration, migration, and refugee camps that no one wants to hear.  I want to tell everyone.

But trust, confidentiality, and respect mandate that my lips must be sealed from revealing things that would shock most Americans. Not most educators, but many of our neighbors.

The reality is that these truths get buried through fear, trauma, pain, and sometimes just not wanting to be different from others. I think they only tell me, because our classroom is full of children like them. The shared community allows them to tell a story that is so normal to them to people to whom it is also normal.

This sharing helps them. They've bonded in ways  I can't even understand, and I see them everyday.

I wonder sometimes who will be the ones from this classroom who will grab that microphone and shout it all like I wish I could. Who will be the leaders who will make sure that things change, both here and abroad? Who are my world-changers?

I pray they all will be.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same going on with my high school students. I am just thankful that we have a caring staff who is able to help them get to their next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids at my school have lots of similar issues, I think. It's really hard, sometimes, to hear their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pray, and every day as you build that safe community in your classroom, you put feet to your prayers.

    We may not be able to tell the stories, but we can help the world changers find their voice to tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their stories need to be heard if anything is ever going to change. I suspect their time in your classroom will give many of them the courage to one day speak their truths for the world to hear.

    ReplyDelete