Saturday, March 17, 2018

Slice of Life, Day 17-- "Buy, Sell, Swap, Anyone?"

So, I was listening to the podcast "This American Life" this morning, and they had an portion of the show that gave me an idea for a lesson I want to do sometime. I thought I'd share/record it here.

The host, Ira Glass, starts out by giving the background. He explains what a Buy, Sell, Swap radio show is. It is an segment of radio that most areas (at least where I'm from!) have in some way or another. Basically, people call in, give their contact info and then tell what they're looking for, willing to swap, or trying to sell. It's quick, efficient, and local.

For example:

Random person 1: Hi, Courtney here. I'm looking to get sell a cabinet full of scrapbooking materials. I'll pack it up for someone who wants it. I'll take $100 or best offer. My number is 555-5555.

Host: Okay, we have Courtney on the line with a ton of scrapbooking stuff boxed up and ready to go for $100. Her number is 555-5555.

Random person 2: Hey, this is Randy. I need an old oscillating fan. I don't care what the condition is or if it even works. Call me at 555-5550 if you've got one you need me to take off your hands.

This goes on for the allotted time, usually an hour on Saturday mornings, etc.

So, the lesson idea is this: What if we chose some particularly interesting ones, and let kids listen. Then we let them choose and make up the backstory behind why that person is buying, selling, or swapping their particular item.

Like, why is Courtney getting rid of her scrapbooking materials? Did her kids move to college and she used to scrapbook their lives as a family? Or maybe it was a hobby and now she's got a baby on the way and needs the extra room/money for the kiddo?

Or Randy...who needs an oscillating fan that doesn't work? Why would they need it?

I think it could be a fun writing project that could combine listening with some sort of fiction unit. Or maybe, you could use it as a practice piece after a grammar lesson; write your imaginary background story using commas in 5 places and quotations marks in 3 places.

Just an idea I thought I'd share! Let me know how it goes if you use it!


7 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I am going to look up this podcast tomorrow and see if I can find one to use for fifth graders. I might use this idea for our monthly writing marathons. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun, fun project. I love podcasts and have been trying to think of ways to incorporate them into lessons and even create our own. Thanks for adding to my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! And it brings another modality (listening) into the writing equation. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love This American Life. They always have something interesting to make you think. I had never thought of using their topics as writing project ideas, but I will from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and creative activity for kids! I get so many ideas when I listen to podcasts, and NPR.... I just usually forget them by the time I'm parking my car! I love that you sliced it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like so much fun! I want to do it. I want to write these backstories. Thanks for sharing this idea inspired by your morning listen. I think it would be very engaging and exciting for any learner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a terrific idea! I'll have to figure out if there is a way I can use it with my online students. I have to admit, I was wondering myself why Randy might need a broken oscillating fan!

    ReplyDelete