Friday, March 23, 2018

Slice of Life, Day 23-- "A Snowy Day Ahead!"

I know that it technically makes me either very immature, unpopular, or just crazy, but the night before it snows--even on Spring Break--I literally cannot sleep. It's insane. I keep waiting to grow out of it or get sick of it, but at 36, I feel like it's probably just not going to happen. I just 💙 snow!

I love all the seasons, really, but I'd trade a beautiful, perfect day from any of them for a gorgeous snow storm. I even like the grocery lines before a storm! (Not a lie.)

My feelings about snow have been compounded by being a teacher who was raised by two educators. Every snow day in my life has been so much fun. I remember coming down the stairs as a kids to find my dad awake, watching the news scroll at the bottom of the screen, waiting for our District to join the others. I'd sit with him and we'd spread the news when school was cancelled. Even when it wasn't cancelled, just the anticipation was enough to scratch the itch.

When it was cancelled, we'd load up the sleds and my sister and I would get a free ride to the doughnut place up the road. Then we'd fill the day with playing outside, snow ice cream, sledding hills, and hot chocolate.

My snow days look a little different now...a little less bundling up and a little more Netflix, but no less JOY.

And that, my friends, is why I can't sleep tonight. It's coming!!

3 comments:

  1. So much fun and anticipation wrapped up in this post. It brought me back to when I was little hoping for snow days in Upstate New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I on the other hand sit here tonight dreading the snow coming. But I have a daughter that has to be up and at work by 6:00 am and of course like a good mother, I am worried about her driving in the snow. Enjoy your snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your memory of your dad scrolling to the bottom of the tv screen. Snow days are great but I'm seriously questioning snow on spring break...

    ReplyDelete