Thursday, March 28, 2019

Slice of Life, Day 28--"Almost There"

As I watch the days of March slowly tick away, I am disappointed in myself by how glad I will be when this challenge is done. I've never felt this way; in fact, last year, I remember thinking how much easier it was at year 5!

Year 6 has been a different beast. I remember some years in the past being more difficult than others, but it wasn't the same...I was still proud of my writing. This year I secretly hope no one reads what I write.

I know I'll be back next year.

I know March 31st will feel amazing and reflective, as usual.

I know April 1st will be a little empty without slicing, like normal.

I know that this is just a 2019 thing...

But, it's sad nonetheless. I hate it when I can't put my best foot forward, and this year has been so far from my best.

But, maybe it's my best for now. Maybe that is worth recording. March 2019 wasn't my best year of slicing, but I still showed up.

Surely, there's a mini-lesson for our writers in there somewhere, right? ;)

4 comments:

  1. Definitely a mini lesson in there. There is not just something to be said for showing up, but A LOT to be said for showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is almost EXACTLY how I feel! It's my 6th year too - and I just said to my husband a few minutes ago that this has been the hardest March because I feel like I am getting worse as a writer, not better... and I am not sure what is going on. He attributes it to lack of sleep ... I think it has more to do with not having my own classroom - and just not owning as many slices of my day or something. I will come back next year though, and I am proud I've done it anyway! Showing up is really important! Good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did more than show up! You committed, you thought, you wrote and you shared! I think is was Donald Murray who said we need to write a lot of garbage to find the gem (something like that)! You wrote, a lot, and I am sure with some distance you can find a gem in what you have written for the past 31 days! Thanks for you honest share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is only my second year and I was a bit nervous about doing it again. I was afraid I would have nothing to write about or that what I did choose to write about would not be appealing. I feel like I did ok this year. I'm pretty sure I'll be back next year, and hopefully I'll make it to a year 6. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete