Saturday, March 31, 2018

Slice of Life, Day 31--"Reflections on Slicing "Firsts"

This is my 5th "reflection slice" in my 5 years of this challenge, but this year it is reminding me of some of the "firsts" I've had along the way this March...

This is my first SOLC without students. Ever. It was so strange! I've always had kids reading my blog, encouraging me as I encourage them, and trying desperately to keep up with them as they wrote!  With my job change and the way Spring Break fell, it just didn't work out this year. It is usually my busiest month of school, but it was pretty low-key this year. Sometimes it felt good, and sometimes I missed my little slicers like crazy.

I leaned on the Slice of Life community more this year than ever. I left a strong community of Slicers back in Missouri, and so the comments from others were more meaningful than ever. Being part of the Welcome Wagon was helpful as I got to know so many new people through their writing! I liked feeling like I was part of welcoming people into our community. I learned a ton by reading their pieces.

It is the first time I've had TWO weeks off in March! While Spring Break provides more varied writing material, I think I actually prefer to be in school for Slice of Life. Am I crazy? I just find more to write about when I'm in my normal routine. Or maybe I'm just more disciplined! :)

This is the first year I didn't stress about my posts. At all. I have always tried to write with my kids in mind, trying new things to mentor them. This year, I just wrote. I didn't worry about perfection or anything even close...I just wrote. It was freeing.

For the first time, it wasn't hard. Finding time is always hard. Keeping my eyes open to finish a slice is always hard. But, I think it's worth noting, to myself anyway, that writing wasn't hard this year. Maybe it has a little to do with all of the above, but I think I've found myself as a writer. It feels like an accomplishment, like feeling comfortable in your own skin. I'll always try new things, strive to perfect the craft, read mentors...but I'm okay with who I am as a writer already, too. I wonder if that's okay...? Will I look back in 10 years and laugh at myself for even typing those words? I wonder.

For the first time, I can see myself joining the Tuesday group. I've tried many times, but never made it far. I'm going to try again this year, and I really think it'll stick. I think I've reached a point as a teacher where the support of other educators has become even more valuable. Teaching is hard, and I need a community to keep me focused and encouraged. Also, I'd like to get better at writing. This seems like the best way to do it--write more and read more!!

Congratulations to all of you, and especially to all of you that finished for the first time this year! See you Tuesday! :)






4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful summarization of all you reflected on through this experience. I'm so glad to hear you had a good experience and that you were able to experience it in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many interesting observations here! I hope you will keep slicing on Tuesdays. I also always have good intentions to keep going with Slicing and then end up stopping until march. But maybe this will be our year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to be in year 5, but still have so many firsts! Love the reflections ... I hope you do continue writing on Tuesdays! Congrats on another year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed sharing SOLSC with you! Hope to see you sometime at one of our ESL meetings!

    ReplyDelete